Seattle Seahawks Jersey

huangjian123

Seattle Seahawks Jersey

Postby huangjian123 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:29 am

Bears coach Matt Nagy decided to rest his starters for the next-to-last preseason game rather than use it as the customary regular-season tuneup.

And the backups proved that they're also ready for the regular season. Backup quarterback Chase Daniel directed touchdown drives on the first three possessions and the Bears defeated the Kansas City Chiefs 27-20 on Saturday.

"It's a confidence builder Adam Shaheen Jersey , for sure," Daniel said.

The Bears played in the Hall of Fame Game and have been practicing since July 20, and Nagy liked what he'd seen in practices.

So he decided Friday to keep starters out of what normally would be a dress rehearsal for the regular-season opener at Green Bay on Sept. 9.

"This was, for me, more of just knowing the pulse of our team," Nagy said. "I know this team better than anybody right now."

Daniel replaced Mitchell Trubisky against the Chiefs, the team Nagy last year served as offensive coordinator. Nagy didn't think Trubisky, who is in his second year as a starter, would have benefited greatly after about 2,000 preseason and training camp snaps.

"We've had some grueling practices against Denver, some live reps in our past couple preseason games," Nagy said.

Playing against Chiefs defensive starters and then the backups, Daniel led the Bears to a 24-10 halftime lead.

Daniel, a Chiefs backup quarterback from 2013-15 Mark Stone Jersey , finished 15 of 18 for 198 yards and two touchdowns. The first two Bears touchdown drives came against Kansas City's starting defense, minus injured safety Eric Berry and four other injured players.

"I felt like I was seeing it pretty good out there today," Daniel said.

Wide-open receiver Kevin White caught Daniel's 29-yard TD pass in the first quarter to break a 7-7 tie, and Daniel then found Javon Wims for a 7-yard TD pass in the back corner of the end zone and a 21-10 lead.

Benny Cunningham ran in from 13 yards for Chicago's first TD and Cody Parkey added a 48-yard field goal just before halftime.

Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes II and the starting offense played into the third quarter against the backup Bears defense, and showed inconsistency.

Mahomes flipped a short pass to the right side and Kareem Hunt turned it into a 19-yard TD for a 7-7 tie. Then he led a 49-yard drive ending in Harrison Butker's second-quarter 47-yard field goal.

Mahomes didn't produce a big play on Saturday, and finished 18 of 24 for 196 yards. He left the game with the Chiefs down 24-10 in the third quarter.

"For me, I thought today was a good day as far as taking what was there and at the same time attacking the defense," Mahomes said.

The Chiefs had eight penalties for 85 yards and a third-quarter drive ended at the Chicago 5-yard line.

"We can learn from this offensively," Chiefs coach Andy Reid said. "You're in the red zone you have to put points on the board. You can't have penalties. We had way too many penalties. Special teams, offense and defense, and tackling we have to make sure we work on that.

"Again, that's what the preseason is for."

A FIRST TD

Bears wide receiver Kevin White's 29-yard touchdown catch in the first quarter was the first touchdown he has scored since coming into the NFL as the seventh pick in the 2015 draft. White missed 2015 and much of 2016 with leg injuries, and played one game last year before suffering a shoulder injury. He is vying for a roster spot in a crowded wide receiver competition and has Nagy's eye.

"I root for underdogs, I love underdogs Marshall Newhouse Jersey ," Nagy said. "And so when you have an underdog that fights his tail off to improve and when people don't believe in him and he proves the people who do believe in him right, then there's nothing better to me."

HOMECOMING

Nagy and his mentor, Reid, shared a hug and a few moments after the game.

Nagy also had a long talk after the game with Mahomes, who started a game for the Chiefs last year as a rookie.

"I told him good luck," Mahomes said. "He was someone that I really got to know last year and really built a great relationship with him. I'm excited for him and his future with Chicago."

ROUGH STUFF

Chiefs linebacker Tanoh Kpassagnon was flagged for roughing Daniel in the second quarter, even though Daniel was tackled with the ball still in his hand. Daniel said it was because Kpassagnon drove him into the ground with the full force of his body.

"I got crushed," Daniel said. "I'm glad I was wearing full pads out there."

Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers last year suffered a broken collarbone on a similar hit.

NATIONAL ANTHEM

There were no protests during the anthem.

INJURIES

Bears wide receiver Marlon Brown left in the second quarter with a possible concussion and did not return. ... Bears reserve tackle Bradley Sowell was assisted from the field in the fourth quarter with a leg injury.

NEXT UP

Chiefs: Close the preseason Thursday by hosting the Green Bay Packers.

Bears: Close the preseason Thursday by hosting the Buffalo Bills.

Even before speaking with his new boss after being selected by San Francisco with the ninth overall pick, Mike McGlinchey had a pretty good idea of what to expect from 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan.

McGlinchey's cousin, Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan, spent two seasons working closely with Shanahan from 2015-16 when Shanahan was the team's offensive coordinator. So who else for McGlinchey to go to for advice about his new gig?

"I've heard quite a bit about Kyle," McGlinchey said on a conference call with reporters. "He's done obviously a great job both with the Falcons and the 49ers. My cousin Matt has said nothing but great things about Kyle. I'm really excited to get to work with him."

Ryan wasn't among the 150 family members and friends who joined McGlinchey at a restaurant near his hometown in Pennsylvania to celebrate being drafted. The Falcons quarterback was home tending to a pair of newborn twin boys but repeatedly reached out to his cousin throughout the day.

"He's been calling me and texting me all day and making sure I'm OK," McGlinchey said. "He's given me all the support I've needed."

McGlinchey was the consensus top tackle available in the draft. He started 29 games on the left side over the past two seasons but will most likely play on the right side in the NFL. San Francisco has six-time Pro Bowl left tackle Joe Staley, who is the longest-tenured player on the 49ers.

"The more we watched him Marc-Andre Fleury Jersey , the more we liked him," 49ers general manager John Lynch said. "Every time Kyle and I kept watching him, he just kept getting better. Last week we decided that if he's there at nine, he's the guy we're taking."

Lynch called McGlinchey a game-changer, an athletic offensive tackle who repeatedly showed up on film blocking for running plays well down the field.

"He's got a special presence to him," Lynch said. "He's real, he's authentic and he's a bad-ass. And we like that."

Shanahan was asked if he reached out to Ryan to get information. The 49ers coach smiled and said no, out of fear of tipping the 49ers' intentions.

"I didn't want to blow our cover," Shanahan said. "I didn't trust Matt to keep a secret."

The pick was somewhat surprising because many speculated that Lynch and Shanahan would continue to target the defense.

For a while, it appeared that middle linebacker Roquan Smith might fall into San Francisco's lap, one year after the 49ers grabbed Reuben Foster with the 31st overall pick. Foster is currently facing domestic violence charges, although his girlfriend recently said she had lied to authorities about the situation.

But Smith was drafted by the Chicago Bears with the eighth pick and the 49ers went with McGlinchey.

"We considered linebackers throughout this process because there were some very good ones in this draft," Lynch said. "Ultimately we came to the decision that McGlinchey was the guy we wanted at our spot. Mike was the guy at nine."

Even McGlinchey was caught off guard. After being picked, he told reporters that he hadn't spoken with the 49ers since a formal interview at the scouting combine. Their first interaction since the combine came when Lynch Youth Luke Kuechly Jersey , Shanahan and owner Jed York got on the phone to speak with their newest rookie.

"I had no idea," McGlinchey said. "It's definitely a shock but absolutely thrilled to be a part of the San Francisco 49ers organization. My family and I couldn't be happier."

The 6-foot-8, 309-pound McGlinchey played both tackle positions with the Irish before settling in at left tackle as a junior. He was projected to be one of the top left tackles in 2017 but he returned to Notre Dame and improved his stock.

With the 49ers, McGlinchey is expected to push Trent Brown and Garry Gilliam for the starting right tackle job. Brown, a seventh-round pick in 2015, has had an up-and-down career with San Francisco and suffered a torn labrum in his shoulder last November.

Brown is expected to be healthy in time for training camp, leaving McGlinchey and Gilliam to handle the reps at right tackle until then.

"No matter where they put me or see fit, that's what I'm going to do and give my best effort," McGlinchey said. "I feel like I've mastered both sides and I'm ready to go at either one."

Green Bay Packers Jerseys

Return to “General”