Find good work in USA?

officialsbaseball

Jeremy Jeffress Jersey

Postby officialsbaseball » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:14 am

CHICAGO (AP) — He gone. Well Jhoulys Chacin Jersey , sort of.Longtime Chicago White Sox broadcaster Ken “Hawk” Harrelson worked his final game Sunday, closing out a colorful TV career after three-plus decades in the booth. The White Sox paid tribute to Harrelson with a couple different videos, and he fought back tears throughout the ninth inning of a 6-1 loss to the crosstown Cubs.“I’ve enjoyed it. Very much, I have enjoyed it,” Harrelson said moments after Matt Davidson struck out swinging for the final out. “I’ve loved it. I will never forget it.”With some family members standing behind him, Harrelson then stood up, tapped his heart and waved as players and coaches from each side pointed toward the booth, waved and applauded in the direction of the former big league slugger. “Oh man, oh man,” Harrelson said.“In a situation like this, when it’s someone that’s near and dear to everyone’s heart — he’s been here a long time — it was the right thing to do, to tip our cap to a guy who’s been doing it very well for a long time,” White Sox manager Rick Renteria said.The 77-year-old Harrelson, who played in the majors for nine seasons with four teams and served as Chicago’s general manager for a short time, will be a team ambassador for the 2019 season. He isn’t sure about his future plans beyond that job, and it sounds as if he is still getting used to the idea of a more relaxed lifestyle.“Last week was the first time that popped in my mind, and I told my wife, ‘Honey, this retirement issue might be overrated,'” Harrelson said before the game. “All I’ve been doing is watching ‘Walker, Texas Ranger’ and turning a lot of Smirnoff into urine.”Harrelson began his broadcasting career with the Red Sox in 1975. He moved to Chicago in 1982, partnering with Hall of Fame pitcher Don Drysdale. After stints as the White Sox GM and broadcast work with the Yankees and NBC, he returned to the White Sox booth in 1990.Harrelson is known for his unabashed love of the White Sox and several common phrases that have become part of the vernacular on the South Side of Chicago. There is “You Can Put It On the Board, Yes!” for White Sox home runs, and “He Gone” after a White Sox pitcher gets a strikeout. “Mercy” also is used frequently.“I get a lot of letters from college aspirants who want to get into broadcasting. ‘Any advice, Hawk, you can give us?’ Yes, be yourself,” Harrelson said. “Curt Gowdy and Howard Cosell both told me exactly the same thing: Don’t try to please everybody because you can’t. They said the guys that try to please everyone really don’t last.”Harrelson made his major league debut with the Kansas City Athletics in 1963 and also played for the Washington Senators, Boston Red Sox and Cleveland Indians, finishing with a .239 batting average, 131 homers and 421 RBIs. He had his best season with Boston in 1968, when he had 35 homers and a major league-best 109 RBIs.He retired after the 1971 season and played professional golf for a short time before he got into broadcasting. He played in the 1972 British Open.“At one point I wanted to die in the booth: ‘Here’s (Paul) Konerko at the plate. Here’s the pitch, bam, that ball hit deep Jeremy Jeffress Jersey , way back, you can put it on the board … and that would be it,” said Harrelson, who worked mostly Sunday home games this season. “I want to be with the White Sox as long as I live.” BOSTON (AP) — The Red Sox hope home-field advantage makes a difference after consecutive Division Series eliminations.Boston began the postseason 0-2 on the road at Cleveland in 2016 and again at Houston last year.By winning a club-record 108 games this season, the Red Sox ensured home-field advantage through the postseason. They split at home against the Yankees last weekend, swept a pair of games in New York to advance and open the AL Championship Series against the World Series champion Astros on Saturday night.Chris Sale starts for the Red Sox and Justin Verlander for the Astros.Sale gave up seven runs in last year’s opening 8-2 loss to Houston, including two home runs by Jose Altuve and by Alex Bregman. Sale made a rare relief appearance in Game 4 at Fenway Park, replacing Rick Porcello to start the fourth inning with Boston trailing 2-1. After Andrew Benintendi’s two-run homer put the Red Sox ahead, Sale allowed Bregman’s tying home run leading off the eighth and a one-out single to Evan Gattis, who gave Houston the lead for good when he scored on Josh Reddick’s single against Craig Kimbrel.“Going through that the last two years helped,” Brock Holt. “We’re better because of what happened last year.”Boston was 57-24 at Fenway Park this year, the best home record in the major leagues, and Sale has a 1.29 ERA and .199 opponents’ batting average in his last eight home starts.“I think he just feeds off the crowd and he just feels more comfortable at home,” Red Sox shortstop Xander Bogaerts said.Boston won the AL pennant in four of the six times it opened the Championship Series at Fenway, in 1975, 1986, 2007 and 2013, the last two en route to World Series titles. The Red Sox failed at this stage in 1988 and 1990.“It’s a big difference to be able start at home against a good team,” Holt said.With its quirky dimensions that include the Green Monster in left, Fenway can be difficult for visiting teams defensively. Marwin Gonzalez has played just 24 regular-season innings in left field at Fenway plus the two games last October.After beating the 100-win Yankees, the Red Sox face the 103-victory Astros. The only other year Boston met a pair of teams in the postseason with triple-digit regular-season wins was in 2004, when the Red Sox beat the Yankees (101) to become the first major league team to rebound from a 3-0 postseason deficit, then swept St. Louis (105) for their first title since 1918.Red Sox manager Alex Cora said thus year’s win over the Yankees provides a mental boost, especially after the Game 2 loss at home.“I think we grew up as a group,” he said.Cora was Houston’s bench coach last year before he was hired by Boston.“Like Verlander said in spring training, to get to the World Series, you have to go through Houston,'” Cora said. “Here we are.”Notes: 1B Mitch Moreland, who injured his right hamstring in Game 2 against the Yankees while running the bases, participated in batting practice on Thursday. “He’s feeling better,” Cora said. “We’ve still got time to see where we’re at with him. Hopefully he keeps getting better and he’ll be ready to go on Saturday.” … 3B Eduardo Nunez appeared to injure himself while making the throw to first for the final out Tuesday. “He’s OK. I think he slipped on that play, but then he was jumping up and down celebrating,” Cora said.
officialsbaseball

He is batting .174 with four extra-base

Postby officialsbaseball » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:32 am

TORONTO — The Houston Astros have a club record for wins within sight as they move closer to clinching the American League West.After taking the first two games of a three-game series with the Toronto Blue Jays Jeff Samardzija Jersey , including a 4-1 victory Tuesday night, the 2017 World Series champions have won 100 games in a season for the second straight season and the third time in franchise history.“That’s a lot of wins. I’m proud of this team and we’re not done yet,” Astros manager A.J. Hinch said. “It’s hard to win in this league in general when everybody expects you to and there’s such a small margin for error where there’s a reaction every time you don’t win. So, to be at a 100 and climbing is remarkable for this team.”Article continues below ...The club record is 102 wins set in 1998.The victory on Tuesday was the Astros 54th on the road this season, also a club record.The Astros entered Tuesday with a 4 1/2-game lead over the Oakland Athletics in the division.The Astros (100-57) will start right-hander Chris Devenski (2-2, 4.12 ERA) in the series finale Wednesday afternoon. The Blue Jays (71-87) will counter with right-hander Sean Reid-Foley (2-4, 5.40).Reid-Foley could pitch only two or three innings — he’s already thrown 159 2/3 innings, including his minor-league season. In four starts in September, he is 2-2 with a 3.92 ERA.He has never faced the Astros.Devenski has made 47 relief appearances and no starts this season. In five career starts, he is 1-2 with a 4.01 ERA. In four relief appearances against Toronto he is 0-0 with a 5.14, including one scoreless inning this season.Both teams seem prepared to empty the bullpens.Blue Jays shortstop Lourdes Gurriel Jr. did not play Tuesday and will sit out the rest of the season because of a strained hamstring. He left the game Monday after grounding into a double play in the first inning.His brother, Astros infielder Yuli Gurriel, was 2-for-4 to extend his hit streak to 11 games in which he is batting .444 (20-for-44). The series was the first time they had played against each other in the majors and it lasted only the one inning.The Blue Jays also announced that right-hander Aaron Sanchez had surgery on his injured right index finger on Tuesday.Sanchez has been limited by finger injuries the past two seasons after winning the American League ERA title in 2016. Last season, it was a blister problem and this season the finger got caught in his suitcase in June. “Hopefully this clears it all up, because he’s important to this team,” Blue Jays manager John Gibbons said. “He was on top of the world a couple years ago and he’s been knocked down. That’s a big part of the frustration; he hasn’t been able to do much the last two years.”The Astros were again without shortstop Carlos Correa, who is resting lingering back and oblique issues. He could return to the lineup Wednesday as designated hitter.Correa was on the disabled list from June 26-Aug. 10 with a sore back. He is batting .174 with four extra-base hits in 121 at-bats since being activated from the DL.He has missed the past five games.“It’s a lot more comfortable,” Correa said Tuesday. “It felt good enough for me to go out there and play tomorrow and try to get these last two series for me to get some at-bats before going to the postseason.”Correa said the final five games will help prepare him for the playoffs.“It’s something that never goes away, I feel like,” Correa said. “I’m looking forward to helping the team in the postseason and getting my rest in the offseason.”The Astros lead the season series with the Blue Jays 4-1.The series finale will be the final home game of the season for the Blue Jays and could be the final home game for Gibbons as manager. LOS ANGELES (AP) — Billie Jean King has gone back to her roots in becoming part of the Los Angeles Dodgers‘ ownership group.The tennis champion first became enamored with the team when it arrived from Brooklyn in 1958. King says she and younger brother Randy Moffitt “grew up bleeding Dodger blue” in Long Beach. Moffitt later pitched in the majors for teams that included the rival San Francisco Giants, or as King puts it “the wrong team.”King and her partner Ilana Kloss have taken an undisclosed stake in the Dodgers at the invitation of owner Mark Walter.“It’s a great thing for the Dodgers,” manager Dave Roberts said.Pending approval by the WNBA http://www.giantsfanproshop.com/authentic-johnny-cueto-jersey , King and Kloss are also expected to have an ownership interest along with Walter in the Los Angeles Sparks.“We’re not allowed to talk about it,” King said, referring to her percentage of the Dodgers. “We’re all in this together.”King said she hopes they “can make a difference that’s meaningful and be impactful.”She and Kloss met Walter and his wife Kimbra in the last year while helping raise money for a new tennis complex on the South Side of Chicago, where King splits her time when she’s not in New York.“We took a beat and waited and then said we’ve got to do this,” said Kloss, who is King’s former doubles partner. “It’s funny how little deals sometimes take forever and deals that are the most meaningful are about the people and the relationships.”Walter, King and Kloss didn’t get into specifics about what their roles with the team will be.“We need a lot of listening first because this has happened very fast,” King said. “We need to learn from everybody.”Walter said King and Kloss “know a ton” about professional sports and leagues, with King having co-founded World TeamTennis, which just wrapped up its 43rd season.“They’re so underselling what they add in terms of value,” Walter said.One area that King and Kloss hope to expand upon is the Dodgers’ efforts to be inclusive to the LGBTQ community.“I care so much about everyone,” King said. “I want everyone to feel included.”Kloss added, “We really are excited not only about doing well but doing good.”King, the 74-year-old former No. 1 player in the world, was like a kid at batting practice Thursday. Sporting a No. 17 jersey, she and Kloss stood behind the cage watching the Dodgers take cuts while chatting with coaches.King said it is her and her brother’s favorite number since both favor odd numbers.King caught up with outfielder Chase Utley, whom she’s known since his days with the Philadelphia Phillies. She pointed out that they attended the same junior high and high school, albeit at different times, in Long Beach.King and Kloss are the first women among the current Dodgers ownership, which includes NBA legend Magic Johnson and entertainment executive Peter Guber.“It’s great as women that we’re a part of this,” King said. “It sends a very strong message.”
officialsbaseball

Orlando Arcia before retiring the next two hitters

Postby officialsbaseball » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:50 am

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Stephen Strasburg made all the necessary adjustments.The right-hander threw six effective innings Brian Goodwin Jersey , Matt Wieters hit a solo homer and the Washington Nationals beat the Philadelphia Phillies 5-3 Monday night.Strasburg (7-7) gave up two runs and five hits, striking out five to rebound from a rough start against Philadelphia last week in his return from the disabled list.“So many little things hitters try to pick, so you always have to look at the tendencies,” Strasburg said. “It was progress.”The Phillies fell 3 1/2 games behind first-place Atlanta in the NL East after losing the opener for the seventh straight series. They’re 6-12 since Aug. 8 and have dropped five games in the standings during that span.Zach Eflin (9-5) allowed five runs — three earned — and eight hits in 5 1/3 innings. His throwing error in the fourth cost him.The Nationals had the bases loaded with one out that inning when Strasburg put a bunt down. Eflin picked it up barehanded and his underhand toss to the plate sailed high for an error, allowing the go-ahead run to score.Adam Eaton followed with a slow roller to the same spot and Eflin made the exact same play and got the out at home.Trea Turner then knocked in another run on a bloop single that fell in because left fielder Rhys Hoskins broke back at first.“We gave them additional outs and you can’t do that against this team,” Phillies manager Gabe Kapler said.Eaton greeted reliever Luis Avilan with an RBI double in the sixth to make it 5-2.Hoskins crushed Ryan Madson’s first pitch in the eighth for his 27th homer.Justin Miller tossed a perfect ninth for his first save in his first try in his 39th appearance.“He comes in and brings so much energy on the mound,” Strasburg said. “The hard work pays off.”Washington took two of three from the Phillies at home last week after trading Daniel Murphy to the Cubs and Matt Adams to the Cardinals.Down 2-0 in the third, the Phillies tied it on an RBI triple by Roman Quinn and an RBI single by Cesar Hernandez. Strasburg struck out Asdrubal Cabrera swinging to strand runners at second and third.Eflin retired the first two batters before Bryce Harper, Anthony Rendon and Juan Soto hit three straight singles in the first to give the Nationals a 1-0 lead.Wieters led off the second with his sixth homer to make it 2-0. He said he was using a new bat after realizing the one he used the past few games was cracked.Strasburg allowed five runs and seven hits over four innings in Washington’s 8-7 win against Philadelphia last Wednesday.“He was able to locate his fastball, throw a high fastball, and made corrections since the last start,” Wieters said.BOOING THE BUFFALOWilson Ramos was thrown out trying to go first to third on Cabrera’s single to right and heard boos from Phillies fans even though he is playing hurt. Ramos recently returned from a hamstring injury and isn’t healthy enough to do more than jog, but he’s Philadelphia’s cleanup hitter and wants to be in the lineup to help the team chase a playoff spot.“He’s playing through a lot,” Kapler said. “He’s a guy who gives everything he has and he showed a lot of toughness.”NEW MAN ON TOPQuinn led off for the first time and Hernandez batted third for just the third time in 641 career games.TRAINER’S ROOMNationals: RHP Kelvin Herrera was placed on the 10-day disabled list with a torn Lisfranc ligament in his left foot. Madson took his spot after he was reinstated from the DL.Phillies: LHP Austin Davis (lower back tightness) began a rehab assignment at Triple-A Lehigh Valley. … INF Pedro Florimon (broken right foot) is continuing his rehab in Triple-A. … RHP Jerad Eickhoff (lat strain, finger) is expected to join the team when rosters expand Saturday.UP NEXTRHP Aaron Nola (15-3, 2.13 ERA) and RHP Max Scherzer (16-6, 2.13) face each other for the second straight outing when the Phillies and Nationals meet Tuesday night. Nola tossed eight innings in Philadelphia’s 2-0 win at Washington last Thursday. MILWAUKEE (AP) — Welcome to the big leagues, Brett Kennedy.Jesus Aguilar, Travis Shaw and Eric Thames hit consecutive first-inning homers to spoil Kennedy’s San Diego debut and propel the Milwaukee Brewers to an 8-4 victory over the Padres on Wednesday night.Kennedy, who was 10-0 in 16 starts at Triple-A El Paso before being called up Monday, was tagged for six runs on 11 hits in four innings.“We were trying to be aggressive within the strike zone, kind of go after him right away,” Aguilar said through a translator. “He even surprised us because he was throwing a little harder than all the reports said. We knew he had a really good record down below in Triple-A, but it’s a little different up here. We were just trying to be aggressive with everything he threw in the zone.”Orlando Arcia and Christian Yelich also homered for the Brewers, giving them a season-high five. Hunter Renfroe had a two-run shot for San Diego.Jhoulys Chacin (11-4) allowed three runs on six hits in six innings to win for the fifth time in six decisions.“We got the early lead and then he put up a bunch of zeroes, which just takes a little wind out of the sails of the opponent, obviously, and we tacked on a couple more runs as well,” Brewers manager Craig Counsell said. “He pitched a good game. It was kind of what we’ve seen from Jhoulys all year.”Kennedy (0-1) retired Yelich on a groundout to open the game, but the next seven hitters reached. Lorenzo Cain singled to right and advanced to third on Mike Moustakas‘ opposite-field bloop single down the left-field line.Aguilar then drove a 3-2 pitch the other way over the right-field wall for his team-leading 28th home run. Shaw followed with his 23rd homer and Thames added his 16th to put the Brewers up 5-0.Kennedy http://www.nationalsfanproshop.com/authentic-mark-reynolds-jersey , who had allowed just six homers in 89 1/3 innings in the Pacific Coast League, then allowed singles to Erik Kratz and Orlando Arcia before retiring the next two hitters.“Not too many butterflies but I was amped up,” Kennedy said. “The ball was coming out pretty good. I didn’t locate some pitches. I threw a good pitch to Aguilar but he put a good swinging on it and hit a home run. I think I tried doing a little too much after that on those next two home runs. After that, I kind of settled down a little bit and started making some pitches.”The Brewers made it 6-0 in the second on singles by Cain and Aguilar and Shaw’s sacrifice fly.San Diego pushed across run in the fifth. Austin Hedges singled and Freddy Galvis walked. Chacin then snagged Franmil Reyes‘ scorching liner and doubled Galvis off first. Hedges came around on Cory Spangenberg’s single under the glove of first baseman Aguilar.Arcia answered in the bottom half with his third homer, a two-out solo shot to center. It was his first homer since April 19, spanning 55 games and 182 plate appearances for a career-long homerless streak.Renfroe’s two-run homer in the sixth, his 11th, cut the lead to 7-3, but Yelich countered with his 18th homer to open the bottom half.Padres manager Andy Green said he was encouraged by the way Kennedy responded after the first inning.“He was probably a little ampled up and a little less command than he’s had than he’s had over the course of the season,” Green said. “He’s been so pinpoint for most of the season. I actually thought the pitch to Aguilar was a tip-your-cap swings a guy just makes from time to time. Then missed over the middle to some good left-handed hitters. But we saw who he was over the last couple innings. We saw a guy settled in, dialed in, locating his fastball very well. He pitched effectively.”KENNEDY’S HOMERS: Kennedy became the third pitcher to allow three straight home runs in his debut, according to STATS, Inc., joining the Yankees Bill Fulton (Sept. 12, 1987 at Toronto) and the Brewers Tyler Thornburg (June 19, 2012 vs. Toronto). Kennedy is the only one to do so in the first inning of his debut.BREWERS BOMBS: Five homers by five different players tied a franchise record. It was the first time the Brewers hit three consecutive homers since May 9, 2015 at Detroit (Ryan Braun, Adam Lind, Aramis Ramirez). According to Stats, Inc, it was the first time the Brewers had three consecutive home runs at home.UP NEXTPadres: LHP Robbi Erlin (2-3, 3.34) will make his fourth start of the season, along with 27 relief appearances. He made one start in May and another in June, before starting Aug. 2 against the Cubs, allowing one run in five innings for his ninth career victory as a starter.Brewers: RHP Junior Guerra (6-7, 3.42) has not won in four starts since July 8. He has allowed 15 earned runs in 22 innings over that span. Guerra has a 2.55 ERA in 13 starts at Miller Park, compared with 4.97 on the road.
officialsbaseball

Baltimore Orioles.Gausman is 3-1 with a 2.00 ERA

Postby officialsbaseball » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:24 am

MIAMI — Perhaps the Miami Marlins have signaled that they are not going to take it anymore. Entering Friday http://www.oriolesfanproshop.com/authentic-ubaldo-jimenez-jersey , the last-place Marlins had lost seven straight games to the National League East-leading Atlanta Braves.But after beating the Braves 1-0 on Friday and 3-1 on Saturday, the Marlins need a win Sunday to take a series from Atlanta for the first time this season.Overall, the Braves (72-57) lead this year’s series 13-5, but you couldn’t tell that from the past two nights. The Marlins (53-78) got great starting pitching from Dan Straily and Wei-Yin Chen — they combined for 12 scoreless innings — and also received nearly impeccable relief work.Article continues below ...Only a ninth-inning homer by shortstop Dansby Swanson on Saturday got Atlanta on the board the past two nights.“It shows you that we’re capable of beating a first-place team,” Straily said. “It really does a lot of good for the morale of our clubhouse.”On Sunday, the Marlins will start 22-year-old rookie right-hander Pablo Lopez (2-3, 4.42 ERA). The native of Venezuela began the season at Double-A Jacksonville and received a promotion to Triple-A New Orleans before beating the New York Mets 5-2 on June 30 in his major-league debut.Lopez is 0-1 with an 8.44 ERA in his one appearance against the Braves on Aug. 13. He will face Braves right-hander Kevin Gausman (8-9, 3.99 ERA) http://www.oriolesfanproshop.com/authentic-joey-rickard-jersey , a former LSU pitcher who was the fourth overall pick in the 2012 draft by the Baltimore Orioles.Gausman is 3-1 with a 2.00 ERA in four starts since the Braves acquired him from the Orioles on July 31. He has allowed just three runs in his past 22 innings.Braves pitchers have gone at least eight innings just four times this season — twice by Gausman, who has the ability to be a staff ace.Gausman will face a Marlins lineup that lacks big names but can surprise pitchers on occasion.Case in point is rookie third baseman Brian Anderson, who has also played right field this year.Anderson hit his 10th homer of the season on Saturday and has been a standout despite being lost in the giant shadows cast by fellow rookies Ronald Acuna of the Atlanta Braves and Juan Soto of the Washington Nationals.Anderson’s home run was pulled 415 feet to left field. The exit velocity was clocked at 106 mph.Miami also got a triple and a run scored Saturday from Rafael Ortega, a 27-year-old from Venezuela who can best be described as a career minor-leaguer. He entered the month with just 68 games of major-league experience but now is starting for the Marlins in right field. Miami also starts a rookie in center field (Magneuris Sierra), a rookie in left field (Austin Dean), rookie Anderson at third and rookie Lopez on the mound.In addition, the shortstop, JT Riddle Pedro Alvarez Jersey , is in his second year in the majors and started this season in the minors.The Braves have a much better lineup on paper with Acuna (.930 OPS) in left field, Freddie Freeman (.920 OPS) at first base and Nick Markakis (.852 OPS) in right field. Right now, though, the Braves are slumping.“You hit a roadblock sometimes in baseball,” Braves pitcher Mike Foltynewicz told the ajc.com. “It’s unfortunate, but that’s why you play 162.” MIAMI (AP) — Stephen Strasburg matched his season-high with 11 strikeouts and Bryce Harper tied a season high with five walks as the Washington Nationals beat the Miami Marlins 4-2 Tuesday night.Anthony Rendon drove in two runs for the Nationals (77-75), who moved to within 6 ½ games of the NL East-leading Atlanta Braves, who lost 8-1 to St. Louis.Strasburg (9-7) pitched six innings and allowed two runs and five hits with two walks. At one point http://www.oriolesfanproshop.com/authentic-tim-beckham-jersey , he struck out six consecutive batters.Sean Doolittle pitched a perfect ninth for his 25th save in 26 opportunities.Peter O’Brien hit his third home run of the season and J.T. Realmuto had two hits and knocked in a run for the Marlins.Adam Eaton and Trea Turner had consecutive RBI singles in the second inning to give the Nationals an early lead.O’Brien’s solo homer off Strasburg cut the Marlins’ deficit to 2-1.Rendon’s sacrifice fly pushed the lead to 3-1, but Realmuto pulled Miami within 3-2 with a base hit in the fifth.Rendon’s single in the sixth pushed Washington’s advantage to 4-2.Sandy Alcantara pitched four innings for the Marlins and allowed six hits, six walks, and three runs.UP NEXTNationals: RHP Max Scherzer (17-7, 2.53 ERA) will begin a four-game series against the New York Mets on Thursday.Marlins: RHP Jeff Brigham (0-2, 7.36) will take the mound on Thursday when Miami begins the final home series of the season, a four-game set against Cincinnati.
officialsbaseball

They’re a really good team and we played a good game

Postby officialsbaseball » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:53 am

LOS ANGELES (AP) — The power went out for the Los Angeles Dodgers http://www.brewersfanproshop.com/authentic-hernan-perez-jersey , but not their luck.Justin Turner blooped an RBI double to drive in Matt Kemp from second base on the first pitch after a 20-minute power outage in the 12th inning, giving the Dodgers an odd 5-4 victory over the San Diego Padres on Saturday night.“That,” said Dodgers manager Dave Roberts, “was a weird one.”Manny Machado and Max Muncy each hit their 30th home run of the season, and the Dodgers overcame a third consecutive blown save by All-Star closer Kenley Jansen after Clayton Kershaw threw eight strong innings.The power went out in the 12th with Kemp standing at second base and one out.When play resumed, Turner blooped the first pitch from rookie reliever Robert Stock (0-1) into no-man’s land in right field. The ball fell between three defenders.Kemp hadn’t drifted far from second, uncertain whether the ball would be caught. But when it dropped, he rounded third and scored without a play.After the game, the Dodgers released a statement saying the outage was due to “a disruption in the city’s power feed” to the ballpark.For the Padres, it was their fourth straight loss.“It’s tough to lose on that fluky hit to right,” manager Andy Green said. “It’s been a tough year for us — it’s no secret. We know where we are in this process.”Dodgers rookie Caleb Ferguson (4-2) earned the win with two innings of scoreless relief.Machado’s three-run homer in the first and Muncy’s solo shot in the seventh had the Dodgers leading 4-3 entering the ninth. San Diego had scored on a solo homer from Franmil Reyes, an RBI single by Freddy Galvis and an unearned run on Eric Hosmer’s groundout.All that came before Austin Hedges connected for his 11th home run of the season against Jansen, who has coughed up the lead three straight times since returning from a stint on the disabled list due to an irregular heartbeat.In blowing three consecutive saves, Jansen has allowed four home runs.LIGHTS OUTIt was the second time this season the power went out at Dodger Stadium. This time it came later in the night, and for a few seconds the stadium was completely black.“Honestly, I’ve never really seen it that dark before,” said San Diego’s Wil Myers. “It was pitch-black. I couldn’t see anything. I didn’t know what was going on but didn’t want to think the worst right away.”JANSEN’S WOESRoberts said he would give the struggling Jansen the day off Sunday in hopes that, coupled with Monday’s off day, it would provide him a mental break.“I’m fine. I don’t need a mental break,” Jansen said. “I just have to figure out some stuff and sharpen up.”Kershaw said he thinks Jansen is close to returning to form.“We all believe in him,” Kershaw said. “He’s not far off.“The velocity is there, the cut is there. It’s just a matter of time.”TRAINER’S ROOMPadres: LHP Eric Lauer (strained forearm) threw 61 pitches in a rehab start for Triple-A El Paso on Friday and is moving closer to rejoining the team. Green said Lauer’s fastball got up to 95 mph. “And it had some jump on it,” Green said. “All the secondary (pitches) had sharpness. We’re moving closer to activating him.”Dodgers: RHP Ross Stripling (back) threw to hitters and is expected to be activated Tuesday. … OF Joc Pederson was out of the starting lineup with a bruised and strained left knee after fouling off a pitch Friday. He did pinch-hit in the ninth and Roberts said Pederson is scheduled to start Tuesday. … LHP Julio Urias, scheduled to be a Sept. 1 call-up, was reinstated from the 60-day disabled list and optioned to Class A Rancho Cucamonga. To make room for him, RHP Josh Fields (shoulder inflammation) was transferred to the 60-day DL.UP NEXTPadres: LHP Robbie Erlin (2-3, 3.46 ERA) is scheduled to make his fifth consecutive start after spending most of the season as a reliever. He was 1-1 with a 2.05 ERA as a reliever. In his last four starts, he’s gone 3-1 with a 3.43 ERA.Dodgers: LHP Hyun-Jin Ryu (3-1, 2.27) will make his third start since coming off the DL after being sidelined by a groin tear. In 10 innings during his first two starts back, he has allowed three runs on seven hits with 10 strikeouts and a walk. BOSTON — Having flexed their muscles with wins in the first two games of the series Domingo Santana Jersey , the Cleveland Indians send 15-game winner Carlos Carrasco to the mound against the Boston Red Sox on Wednesday night at Fenway Park.The Indians, who hit three home runs in coming back from a 3-0 deficit to win Monday night, hit two more Tuesday in the second game between the two division leaders, a 6-3 victory.Carrasco, 15-6 with a 3.33 ERA, faces left-hander Brian Johnson, who will try to help the Red Sox, losers of three games in three days, avoid what would be their first four-game losing streak of the season.Article continues below ...For the second straight night, Greg Allen and Melky Cabrera tormented the Red Sox. Allen went 2-for-3 to extend his hitting streak to 14 games and also drove in a run and made two outstanding catches and Cabrera had three hits, including a homer for the second straight game in the series — the third in a row overall.Two teams with substantial leads in their divisions — a hyped series that could be a playoff preview.“We just wanted to win tonight. That’s all,” said Indians manager Terry Francona. “I don’t care about that stuff.“They’re a really good team and we played a good game. But now we’ve got to play a better game tomorrow.”The Red Sox, who still lead the Yankees by eight games atop the American League East, have seen the lead chopped by 2 1/2 games in the last three days. They lost three in a row way back in April but have not lost four in a row all season.“We’re not swinging the bat well right now since (Tyler) Glasnow on Saturday, then the bullpen game on Sunday,” said Boston manager Alex Cora. “These guys. It seemed like yesterday we were waking up early but then they did a good job and today we were unable to get something going until that inning.“So, we’ll come back tomorrow and look for pitches in the middle of the zone and try to hit it in the air and hopefully they go out of the ballpark.”Speaking about the Indians, Cora said, “It’s a tough lineup because they don’t strike out. They will put the ball in play; they found ways. So we got to be able to expand somewhere, probably up in the zone, and obviously down with the breaking ball late in counts. But I think it was more about them than actually Nate (Eovaldi, the starter and loser).”Carrasco, who has forced his way into the Cy Young talk, has gone 7-1 in July and August and has thrown back-to-back seven-inning shutout efforts his last two times out. He is 1-2 with a 6.83 ERA in seven games — five starts — lifetime against the Red Sox, 0-1 in four games — three starts — at Fenway.Johnson is 4-3 with a 4.00 ERA overall but is 3-0 as a starter in August, with the offense helping him out. He has yielded 17 hits and 12 earned runs in 17 2/3 innings in those starts but does have 19 strikeouts over that span.Brock Holt is 4-for-5 (.800), Xander Bogaerts 3-for-7 (.429), J.D. Martinez 9-for-25 (.360) with two home runs and Mitch Moreland 5-for-14 (.357) with three homers against Carrasco. But Mookie Betts is 1-for-8 (.125) and Ian Kinsler 11-for-50 (.220) against the right-hander.Johnson has never faced the Indians.
officialsbaseball

RHP Danny Barnes was activated after spending

Postby officialsbaseball » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:59 am

OAKLAND Jim Thome Jersey , Calif. (AP) For a guy who has been a middle-of-the-order hitter most of his career, Jonathan Lucroy is quite comfortable anchoring the bottom of the Athletics lineup.Oakland’s veteran catcher proved that once again after convincing manager Bob Melvin to let him play in a day game following a night game.Lucroy drove in four runs to match his season high and the A’s completed a season sweep of Toronto, beating the Blue Jays 8-3 on Wednesday.”This is a workhorse, a guy that expects to be back there,” Melvin said of Lucroy. ”He had eight or nine RBIs in his last 10 games and had four more today. Not only is he doing his job behind the plate, he’s picking up the pace offensively and driving in some runs, too.”The A’s won all seven games between the two teams this year for their first season sweep of the Blue Jays.Oakland also moved into a tie with Seattle for the second wild card. The Mariners lost to Houston 8-3.Franklin Barreto homered and had three RBIs for the Athletics. Lucroy added three hits.”When you have a real deep lineup, sooner or later someone in the lineup’s going to get you,” Lucroy said. ”Might not be the first five guys, might not be the last four guys. It could be anyone in between.”Russell Martin homered for Toronto.”All three days we didn’t get really any shutdown pitching at all from our bullpen guys,” Blue Jays manager John Gibbons said. ”We haven’t been scoring much either.”Sean Manaea (10-7) bounced back from a shaky outing in Colorado, pitching effectively into the seventh inning and allowing one run while frequently working through traffic. He gave up five hits, struck out five and walked two.Toronto starter Marcus Stroman (4-8) allowed seven runs and 11 hits in five innings.”They did a great job of putting the ball in play, early in the count and late in the count,” Stroman said. ”Frustrating. My stuff felt great.”Oakland backed Manaea with plenty of offense http://www.philliesfanproshop.com/authentic-scott-kingery-jersey , most of it supplied from the bottom half of the lineup. The final five A’s batters combined for 11 hits and drove in seven runs.”We don’t have a lot of experience overall in our lineup but we have guys that can swing it and guys that can hit up and down,” Lucroy said. ”It’s really cool to be a part of. Whenever you have that kind of depth in your lineup it’s devastating for starting pitchers that we’re facing.”Lucroy, the No. 8 hitter, had a two-run single in the second, an RBI double in the fourth and an RBI single in the sixth.Barreto followed Lucroy in the lineup and had a two-run double in the sixth and homered in the eighth. Barreto started in place of All-Star second baseman Jed Lowrie.Russell hit his ninth homer, a two-run drive off Ryan Buchter, in the eighth.ROSTER MOVESThe A’s made a flurry of moves after the game. CF Dustin Fowler was optioned to Triple-A Nashville. OF Boog Powell was reinstated from the disabled list and sent to Nashville. RHP Carlos Ramirez was designated for assignment.THIS AND THATMelvin’s 601st career win as manager of the A’s moved him into sole possession of third place on the franchise list. … Oakland 3B Matt Chapman has reached base in a career-high 18 consecutive games. … Martin’s home run was his 63rd with the Blue Jays, tying him with J.P. Arencibia for second-most in team history by a catcher. … Randal Grichuk has 10 extra-base hits in his last 13 games.TRAINER’S ROOMBlue Jays: 2B Lourdes Gurriel Jr. was put on the disabled list with a high ankle sprain and bruised knee. … RHP Danny Barnes was activated after spending more than a month on the disabled list with left knee tendinitis.Athletics: OF Chad Pinder, who injured his left elbow in a car accident in Colorado, has been taking groundballs and could begin swinging a bat Friday. … RHP Daniel Gossett underwent Tommy John surgery. … RHP Andrew Triggs (right arm nerve irritation) played catch for the second time in three days but has yet to throw off a mound.UP NEXTBlue Jays: No starter had been named for Thursday’s game in Seattle.Athletics: LHP Brett Anderson (2-3, 5.55) faces the Detroit Tigers at the Coliseum on Friday. Both of Anderson’s wins have come since he came off the disabled list July 8.— HOUSTON (AP) — That new contract A.J. Hinch got from the Houston Astros also came with a huge set of expectations.“When I hired A.J., at the press conference, I said, ‘A.J.’s going to be our manager when we win the first World Series for Houston,'” general manager Jeff Luhnow said Thursday.“I’m now telling you that A.J. is going to be the manager when we win the second and hopefully the third World Series for Houston Odubel Herrera Jersey ,” he said.The reigning champion Astros — and current AL West leaders — rewarded Hinch with a deal that extends his run in the dugout through the 2022 season. His contract had been set to expire after this year with a club option for 2019.Astros stars Jose Altuve, Carlos Correa, George Springer and Alex Bregman were among the players who attended the announcement at Minute Maid Park. The group sat toward the back of the room and Hinch made sure to thank them.“I wouldn’t be here and I certainly wouldn’t be getting this opportunity if it wasn’t for you,” Hinch said. “This game is about players it will always be about players and to be your manager is by far the best job I’ve ever had in baseball.”The 44-year-old Hinch guided Houston to its first crown last season. He took over in 2015 and has led the Astros to a regular-season record of 353-266 and two playoff appearances.“To be the manager of the Houston Astros means the world to me and it has since the day Jeff and Jim hired me to be here,” Hinch said. “That goes to the business ops people, baseball ops people, the people behind the scenes, the clubhouse personnel, the training staff and ultimately the players I am fortunate enough to lead.”“Who wouldn’t sign up to be the manager of the Houston Astros?” he said.The Astros led the AL West by 2 1/2 games over Oakland going into Thursday night’s home game against the Angels.“I’m not going to let these two down,” Hinch said, referring to Luhnow and Astros owner Jim Crane.The former major league catcher previously managed the Arizona Diamondbacks.Luhnow says Hinch “is aligned with the vision of our front office, has made a great connection with our players, and has earned the respect of everyone in the clubhouse.”Said Bregman: “He believes in his players and he trusts his players. Those are two things that are really the most important.”
officialsbaseball

The Cubs thought they had runners on second

Postby officialsbaseball » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:24 am

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Ryan Carpenter turns 28 years old next week. The Detroit Tigers pitcher gave himself a nice early birthday gift on Saturday night: his first major league win.Mikie Mahtook hit a tiebreaking three-run homer in the fifth inning http://www.bluejaysfanproshop.com/authentic-russell-martin-jersey , Carpenter pitched into the sixth inning and the Tigers beat the Minnesota Twins 7-5.“This is something I’ve worked my whole life for and I definitely don’t want it to be the last,” said Carpenter, who made four starts earlier this season but had been out since May 31 with a strained right oblique. “I spent almost two months down in Florida rehabbing. It’s kind of a long, hard process but I always told myself I’d get through it and I’d come back up here and get my first win.”Joe Mauer, Tyler Austin, Miguel Sano and Mitch Garver homered for the Twins, who had won four straight.The Twins had Carpenter (1-1) on the ropes early, as their first three batters reached base. But he wiggled out of trouble.“He changed speeds and moved it around,” Tigers manager Ron Gardenhire said. “I thought they were going to be on him a little bit and he made some adjustments.”Mauer led off the game with a home run, Eddie Rosario followed with a single, and Jorge Polanco’s double put runners on second and third with nobody out. But Carpenter fanned Sano, got Logan Forsythe on a lineout to third, and retired Max Kepler on fly ball to get out of the inning.Austin hit a solo shot in the second inning and Sano followed suit in the third, but that was all the Twins could manage off Carpenter, who walked none and struck out three in 5 1/3 innings. Four relievers combined to close it out, with Shane Greene picking up the last four outs for his 26th save in 29 chances.Mahtook’s homer was his second of the year and came off reliever Tyler Duffey (1-2). Niko Goodrum was hit by a pitch leading off the fifth and Victor Martinez hit a grounder to first base. Mauer threw to second for the force and Goodrum initially was called out. But the call was overturned by a video review, and Mahtook followed with a no-doubt line drive deep into the left-field seats.Twins starter Kohl Stewart, the fourth pick in the 2013 draft, made his first appearance at Target Field after debuting Aug. 12 in Detroit. He walked four in just 2 2/3 innings and the Tigers chased him with a three-run third inning.He was a pitch away from getting out of the inning unscathed, but with the bases loaded and two outs he hit Mahtook with a 1-2 fastball to score the Tigers’ first run. Ronny Rodriguez followed with a two-run double and Stewart’s night was done.“It’s just frustrating, you know? I had Mahtook 0-2 there, and could have gotten out of that inning — as bad as it was — if I execute that one pitch,” Stewart said. “That’s the kind of (stuff) that keeps you up at night.”TWINS HONOR MORRISThe Twins officially honored Jack Morris for his induction to the National Baseball Hall of Fame in a pregame ceremony on Saturday. A video replay of Morris’ speech at last month’s induction ceremony in Cooperstown, New York was shown on the scoreboard before Morris addressed the crowd.The St. Paul, Minnesota native only pitched one season for the Twins, but it was a memorable one. In 1991 he won 18 games to lead the Twins to the postseason, then threw 10 scoreless innings in Game 7 of the World Series. Morris was joined at the podium by two other hometown Hall of Famers, Twins manager Paul Molitor and outfielder Dave Winfield Josh Donaldson Jersey , each of whom got his 3,000th career hit in a Twins uniform.MINNESOTA MOVESMolitor said it was “fairly likely” that Stewart would start his next turn in the rotation, which would be Thursday against the Athletics.UP NEXTTigers: RHP Jacob Turner (0-1, 45.00 ERA) will be recalled from Triple-A Toledo to start Sunday’s series finale against the Twins. Turner, playing for his fifth team in his seven-year career, made one start for Detroit this season. He lasted just one inning and allowed five earned runs against the Angels on Aug. 7. To make room for Turner on the roster, RHP Zach McAllister was designated for assignment.Twins: RHP Jake Odorizzi (5-7, 4.44) will face the Tigers on Sunday. In his last start, Odorizzi picked up his first win in five weeks by pitching into the sixth inning and striking out nine in a 5-2 win over the Pirates. CHICAGO (AP) — Anthony Rizzo walked the Cubs to a wild victory.Rizzo walked with the bases loaded in the seventh inning after Jason Heyward broke up a no-hitter with a two-run single in the sixth, and Chicago beat the Washington Nationals 3-2 on Friday.In the first meeting between the teams since they beat Washington in the NL Division Series, the Cubs won even though they didn’t get a hit against Nationals starter Jeremy Hellickson.Heyward finally broke through against Sammy Solis (1-2) with two outs in the sixth. But just as big was Rizzo walking three times. He sparked the tying rally with one in a 13-pitch at-bat before forcing in the go-ahead run with another in the seventh.Manager Joe Maddon got ejected, but the Cubs pulled out the victory.“The second one obviously was a big one for us,” Rizzo said. “(Hellickson) was cruising, really hitting his spots.”Hellickson retired 17 in a row after issuing a leadoff walk to Rizzo in the first. But things took a wild turn with two out in the sixth.He walked Rizzo on 13 pitches and both Javier Baez and Ben Zobrist on four to load the bases.Heyward took two balls from Solis before lining a tying two-run single past second baseman Daniel Murphy.“I think I tried everything,” Hellickson said. “That’s why (Rizzo is) one of the best hitters in our game.”Chicago grabbed a 3-2 lead in the seventh after Maddon got tossed for arguing an interference call against Willson Contreras on the bases. The Cubs thought they had runners on second and third after Kyle Schwarber led off with a single and third baseman Anthony Rendon’s throw sailed down the right-field line.Instead, he got called for interference, leading to Maddon’s second ejection this season. He argued with plate umpire Bill Miller and went to first to demonstrate his point that first baseman Ryan Zimmerman could not have caught the throw, anyway.Maddon called it “obviously a horrific call” that rewards defenses and penalizes offenses and said the umpires should be allowed to “exercise judgment.”But Miller insisted: “In this situation, (Contreras) interfered with the first baseman’s ability to catch the ball. Because he was running inside fair territory — he was not running in the lane.”Schwarber had to go back to first. But he eventually scored when Greg Holland walked Rizzo after Ian Happ and Addison Russell singled to load the bases, putting the Cubs on top.Kyle Hendricks gave up two runs and eight hits in six innings for Chicago, and five relievers combined to hold the Nationals scoreless the rest of the way.Steve Cishek (3-1) struck out the final two batters in the seventh. Carl Edwards Jr. got three outs in the eighth after former Washington pitcher Brandon Kintzler walked the first two batters. Contreras picked Juan Soto off first from his knees before Mark Reynolds flied out and Murphy grounded out, and Pedro Strop worked the ninth for his ninth save in 12 chances.Hellickson gave up two runs, walked four and struck out three. Murphy had three hits and a run, but the Nationals came up short after a 7-3 homestand.CUBS MOVESThe Cubs signed veteran left-hander Jorge De La Rosa and transferred righty Yu Darvish to the 60-day disabled list to make room for him on the 40-man roster. Chicago also optioned left-hander Randy Rosario to Triple-A Iowa to create a spot for De La Rosa on the active roster.TRAINER’S ROOMNationals: OF Bryce Harper was back in the lineup after being scratched from Thursday’s game against Atlanta because of a sore right knee. … Martinez said RHP Stephen Strasburg (cervical nerve impingement) is scheduled for about a 60-pitch bullpen session Saturday and will pitch in a simulated game on Wednesday. Martinez said he thinks Strasburg will need to go on a minor league rehab assignment before returning to the rotation. … RHP Erick Fedde (shoulder inflammation) threw in the bullpen in the bullpen on Friday.Cubs: The Cubs plan to have Darvish — sidelined since May 20 because of triceps and elbow injuries — throw at least one more simulated game before going on a minor league rehab assignment. … Ben Zobrist (sore hip) started in right field after missing Wednesday’s game at Kansas City.UP NEXTNationals: RHP Tanner Roark (6-12, 4.21 ERA) looks to win his fourth straight start.Cubs: LHP Jon Lester (12-4, 3.44) hopes to return to form after going 0-2 with an 8.53 ERA in his past four starts.
officialsbaseball

Brewers’ Dominican summer and Arizona League teams

Postby officialsbaseball » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:38 am

In 2011 Bradley Zimmer Jersey , it was the Rally Squirrel dashing across home plate during Game 4 of the National League Division Series to disrupt Philadelphia pitcher Roy Oswalt and help the St. Louis Cardinals take a win-or-die game. Six years later, the Rally Kitty appeared in center field just before a grand slam by Yadier Molina won an August game against Kansas City and fueled an eight-game winning streak that lifted St. Louis into a first-place tie in the NL Central before the Chicago Cubs finally pulled away.On Sunday, Rally Squirrel II made a road trip, waltzing across the Comerica Park infield in Detroit moments before the Cardinals broke up a scoreless tie with five seventh-inning runs to notch a critical win over the Tigers and maintain their edge for the NL’s second wild card.Article continues below ...“We’ll look for that rally squirrel and try to bring it home,” Cardinals second baseman Kolten Wong joked.Given recent trends, St. Louis might need a whole zoo to try to figure out Pittsburgh Pirates right-hander Trevor Williams, its opponent Monday night for the beginning of a three-game series at Busch Stadium.Williams (12-9, 3.15 ERA) continued an amazing run on Labor Day, firing 6 2/3 scoreless innings in a 5-1 win over Cincinnati at PNC Park. In his last nine starts, Williams has allowed only four runs in 54 2/3 innings, pitching scoreless ball six times and post an absurd 0.66 ERA.One of those six times occurred two weeks ago, when he bagged a 2-0 win over the Cardinals (79-64) at Busch. Williams ceded only three hits and three walks in six innings, striking out eight.“I’m confident in my ability to pitch at the big league level and have success at the big league level,” he said to mlb.com after his win over Cincinnati. “It’s just a matter of executing pitches.”Williams’ shutdown outing against St. Louis reversed a career-long trend of struggles against a division rival. In 11 outings, he’s 3-4 with a 5.98 ERA, permitting 59 hits in 43 2/3 innings and 29 earned runs.The Cardinals would have avoided Williams had Pittsburgh (71-71) not been washed out of its series finale Sunday against Miami. The remnants of Tropical Storm Gordon moved that game back to Oct. 1, the day after the regular season was scheduled to end.St. Louis will start veteran Adam Wainwright (1-3 http://www.indiansfanproshop.com/authentic-brandon-guyer-jersey , 4.00), who has been out since May 13, when he suffered right elbow inflammation during the third inning of a 5-3 loss in San Diego. Wainwright has fired 17 scoreless innings across six rehab outings. In his career, Wainwright is 13-7 in 36 games with a 4.28 ERA when facing the Pirates.“I feel like I’m getting called up for September,” he said to mlb.com last week. “Earlier this season, I couldn’t lift my bag, pick up my shirt, after starts. I threw a bullpen after my last start, and I didn’t know what would happen. And I felt normal.”The Cardinals own a 9-7 edge in the season series with the Pirates, winning five of the seven games at home. NEW YORK (AP) — Julio Teheran delivered a final pitch, watched the shortstop drift back to make a nice catch and walked off the mound clapping his right hand and glove together.After the game, Braves manager Brian Snitker applauded Teheran, too.Teheran looked sharp in his last audition to become part of Atlanta’s playoff rotation, throwing two-hit ball for six innings Thursday night in a 4-1 loss to the New York Mets.“That’s the way I wanted to finish the regular season,” Teheran said.The NL East champion Braves didn’t start first baseman Freddie Freeman and center fielder Ender Inciarte, and they were minus injured shortstop Dansby Swanson for the second straight game.Teheran (9-9) allowed one run, struck out five and walked two Erik Gonzalez Jersey , and trailed 1-0 when he exited. The start came exactly a week before the Braves are set to begin the postseason against the NL West champs, either Colorado or the Los Angeles Dodgers.In the race for home-field advantage in that matchup, Atlanta and Colorado are 89-70 and the Dodgers are 88-71; the Braves don’t own either tiebreaker, having lost the head-to-head season series against both clubs.Teheran won just one of his last 10 outings, but Snitker observed, “he’s pitched better than this record.”Plus this: Opponents hit only .196 against him, besting Greg Maddux (.197 in 1995) for the lowest mark in franchise history, the Braves said. All-Star Mike Foltynewicz could top him — he’s at .198 going into Friday night’s start at Philadelphia.The 27-year-old Teheran started for the Braves the previous time they made the playoffs in 2013 and has long been a key piece of their staff, but his place this October is uncertain. He’s been inconsistent at times, albeit more steady down the stretch.Snitker hasn’t said who will pitch in the playoffs. Foltynewicz, Kevin Gausman and Anibal Sanchez are considered likely to lock down the first three starts in the best-of-five NL Division Series, perhaps leaving Teheran and Sean Newcomb and maybe even rookie Touki Toussaint to compete for the fourth spot.“I got in the back of my mind what I’m thinking,” Snitker said, without revealing any details.“This isn’t tryout camp,” he said, adding, “I think the total body of work speaks for itself.”Teheran gave up a leadoff double to Brandon Nimmo in the first and a home run to Kevin Plawecki in the third.Pinch-hitter Devin Mesoraco connected for a three-run homer off Brad Brach in the seventh that made it 4-0.Ronald Acuna Jr. hit an RBI single in the eighth.The Braves beat New York in the opener of this three-game series for their sixth straight win. But Mets starters Noah Syndergaard http://www.indiansfanproshop.com/authentic-josh-tomlin-jersey , Jacob deGrom and Jason Vargas combined for 21 scoreless innings in the set, and New York finished 6-13 against Atlanta this year.Vargas (7-9) needed just 77 pitches for seven shutout innings in his best start of the year.“Good job,” Mets manager Mickey Callaway said. “He finished the season strong for us.”Vargas gave up three hits, walked none and struck out six, pitching in light rain in the later innings. The 35-year-old lefty tied for the major league lead with 18 wins last season with Kansas City but struggled early after signing a $16 million, two-year deal with the Mets.Vargas went 5-1 with a 2.62 ERA in his last eight starts.Robert Gsellman worked the ninth for his 13th save. He struck out Freeman with two on to end it.WRIGHT YOU AREMets third baseman David Wright didn’t play despite scattered chants of “We want David!” Activated this week, he hasn’t played in the majors since May 2016 because of neck, back and shoulder injuries. The Mets have planned for him to start Saturday night at Citi Field against Miami.The 35-year-old team captain left a spirited reminder of his days in the clubhouse before the game. A bottle of tequila was put in each teammate’s locker, with his No. 5 and the message, “Thanks for the memories.”TRAINER’S ROOMBraves: No update on Swanson, diagnosed this week with a partially torn ligament in his left hand. A progress report is possible over the weekend. Swanson’s status remains uncertain for Atlanta’s playoff opener next Thursday. Charlie Culberson again took Swanson’s place.UP NEXTBraves: Foltynewicz (12-10, 2.88 ERA) pitches at Citizens Bank Park to open the final series of the regular season. Last Saturday, he took a no-hit bid into the seventh inning against the Phillies in the division clincher.Mets: RHP Corey Oswalt (3-3, 6.08) starts at home vs. RHP Jose Urena (8-12, 4.07) and the Marlins.
officialsbaseball

McCutchen should see the lion’s share of time

Postby officialsbaseball » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:55 am

KANSAS CITY Brad Ziegler Jersey , Mo. (AP) — The Rockies acquired Drew Butera from the Kansas City Royals on Friday, giving Colorado a veteran backup catcher as they try to chase down the Arizona Diamondbacks in the NL West.The Royals received minor league left-hander Jerry Vasto.Butera was in his fourth season with the Royals, where he served as the backup to six-time All-Star Salvador Perez. He was hitting just .188 with two homers and 18 RBIs in 52 games, but will be remembered by Kansas City fans for catching the final out of the Royals’ 2015 World Series championship.Colorado began the day 1 1/2 games behind the Diamondbacks in the division race.The 26-year-old Vasto has spent most of this season at Triple-A Albuquerque, going 2-1 with a 3.16 ERA in 37 relief appearances. He made his big league debut on June 10 in a game against Arizona. NEW YORK (AP) — It took a while, but 9-month-old Steel McCutchen seemed fine with Dad’s new look.Andrew McCutchen liked his fit with the New York Yankees, too.A day after being traded from San Francisco, the former NL MVP stepped back into a playoff race Saturday. He drew a warm ovation at Yankee Stadium when he was introduced as the leadoff hitter and right fielder, then struck out in his first two-bats against Detroit.At least his grooming got off to a smooth start. Adhering to the Yankees’ strict policy on facial hair, he shaved off his familiar beard before the debut.His son got a good, close view.“I just cut it and held him. I was worried about his reaction,” McCutchen said. “He stared at me for about five minutes and touched all on my face and he seemed to be OK with it.”McCutchen spent his first nine seasons in Pittsburgh — the Steel City — and was traded to San Francisco in January. The five-time All-Star was hitting .255 with 15 home runs http://www.twinsfanproshop.com/authentic-rod-carew-jersey , 55 RBIs and 13 stolen bases when the Giants sent him to the Yankees.“I feel like a lot of baseball players want to at least throw the pinstripes on for who knows how long just to say you did it,” McCutchen said.“I’m on a new team and we have an opportunity to do big things here so in a sense, yes, I am nervous, but at the same time I look at it as a good thing because that means I care about it,” he said.Acquired for two minor leaguers on the final day trades could be made for postseason-eligible players, McCutchen should see the lion’s share of time in right while slugger Aaron Judge continues to recover from a broken right wrist.Judge has been on the mend since being hit by a pitch on July 26, a process that has gone slower than originally expected. New York had hoped Clint Frazier could step in for Judge at some point, but the young outfielder is still shelved with post-concussion migraines.“We’ve been looking to reinforce this outfield situation as the timeframes on Aaron Judge and Clint Frazier were obviously much longer than anticipated,” Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said. “It’s a nice welcome addition. It’s a much-needed addition.”McCutchen wasn’t the only newcomer.The Yankees got shortstop Adeiny Hechavarria in a trade with Pittsburgh late Friday night. Didi Gregorius, New York’s starter at the spot, has been out since Aug. 20 because of a bruised heel.“He’s a defensive wizard that gives us some protection Brian Dozier Jersey , obviously we’re down our shortstop,” Cashman said. “We felt that it was a good grab to reinforce our depth and our insurance and an alternative choice.”Joining McCutchen in Saturday’s lineup was catcher Gary Sanchez, who returned from the disabled list almost six weeks after he was shelved with a recurring groin injury.“Really good to write those guys back in there as we work our way to getting a little more healthy today,” Yankees manager Aaron Boone said. “Just excited to have some really important additions back in our lineup.”Sanchez missed 20 games from June 25 to July 19 with a strained right groin and then another 36 since landing back on the DL on July 24.He was widely criticized for a perceived lack of hustle on two key plays in a 7-6 loss at Tampa Bay a day earlier, one where lackadaisical baserunning may have cost New York a chance to the tie the game in the ninth inning.Sanchez was not in the lineup the following day, and MRI results released soon after revealed that he had re-aggravated his groin injury.An All-Star last year, Sanchez is hitting just .188 with 14 home runs in 66 games this season.“I feel like not only is he healthy, but physically right now in a really good place and hopefully he can get back there and really start to impact the middle of our lineup,” Boone said.
officialsbaseball

Baltimore finished at least

Postby officialsbaseball » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:11 am

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Manny Machado caught his wife’s first pitch before the game and hit a three-run homer to notch the first 100 RBI season of his career.“It can’t get any better than this http://www.athleticsfanproshop.com/authentic-joe-morgan-jersey ,” Machado said.Except maybe reaching the World Series and winning.The Dodgers‘ 7-2 victory over the San Diego Padres kept their NL West lead at 1 ½ games over Colorado, which won 5-1 at Arizona.Machado had been eager for a memorable moment since being traded to the Dodgers on July 18 from Baltimore.He borrowed a page from a popular script: homering on his bobblehead night.“We fed off that,” manager Dave Roberts said. “He’s trying like heck and he wants that signature moment. Hopefully tonight alleviated some of the pressure for him.” Machado’s homer was one of three by the Dodgers in the game, giving them a National League-leading 222 on the season and breaking the club record of 221 set last year.“We have great hitters here,” Machado said. “We’re all confident. We know the team we have.” Rich Hill became the Dodgers’ first 10-game winner, allowing one run and four hits in seven innings. The left-hander struck out seven and walked none.Hill (10-5) has been stellar since the All-Star break with an 8-1 record. In his 12 second-half starts, the Dodgers are 9-3.“I’m just excited we won and we’re keeping pace here,” Hill said.Machado caught a nice toss from his wife Yainee Alonso, whose brother is Indians first baseman Yonder Alonso.“I think she’s got the best (arm) in the family,” Machado said.Then reminiscent of Manny Ramirez (2009) and Yasiel Puig (2015) homering on their bobblehead nights, Machado launched his 36th long ball of the season to right-center on the first pitch from rookie Jacob Nix (2-4). Machado had 24 homers with Baltimore before being traded on July 18.Fans responded with chants of “Manny! Manny!”The Dodgers batted around in the third, when Justin Turner doubled down the left-field line to drive in a pair of runs. Machado’s shot scored Turner and Max Muncy, who was hit by Nix, giving the Dodgers a 6-0 lead. Yasmani Grandal hit his 24th homer off Brad Wieck in the sixth and Joc Pederson went deep in the first for his seventh leadoff homer of the season.San Diego’s first run came on Hunter Renfroe’s 25th homer with two outs in the sixth, leaving him one shy of tying his career high set last year.The Dodgers’ bullpen struggled in the ninth.After getting a quick out, Yimi Garcia allowed a double to Austin Hedges. Tony Cingrani came on and hit Eric Hosmer before giving up a single to Wil Myers that loaded the bases. Manuel Margot followed with an RBI single.That forced Roberts to bring in closer Kenley Jansen, who struck out the final two batters to earn his 37th save.“I didn’t expect to use him Reggie Jackson Jersey ,” Roberts said.Nix gave up a career-high-tying six runs and six hits in 2 1/3 innings. He struck out two and walked none.“Made the mistake to Machado and the mistake to Cody Bellinger, and I paid for it,” he said.LASORDA’S BIRTHDAYHall of Fame manager Tom Lasorda turned 91 on Saturday, and the sellout crowd of 53,536 cheered him when he was shown on the videoboard. He’s in his record 69th season with the Dodgers, the longest tenure anyone has had with the franchise in Brooklyn and Los Angeles. Lasorda led the club to World Series titles in 1981 and ’88.FAN ON FIELDA man ran onto the field from the third-base side in the middle of the eighth inning. He reached center field, where he was quickly tackled by about nine security personnel. They removed him through the center field gate.UP NEXTLHP Joey Lucchesi (8-8, 3.74 ERA) goes for the Padres in the series finale. The third straight rookie to start in the series, Lucchesi is 0-2 with a 5.00 ERA in two starts against LA. LHP Hyun-Jin Ryu (5-3, 2.18) starts the Dodgers’ last home game before they end the regular season on the road. Ryu has given up three earned runs in 11 2/3 innings of two starts against the Padres. BALTIMORE (AP) — The Baltimore Orioles will continue their rebuilding project without manager Buck Showalter and executive vice president of baseball operations Dan Duquette, who were fired Wednesday after the team finished with the worst record in the major leagues.With Duquette procuring the talent and Showalter making it work on the field, Baltimore snapped a run of 14 straight losing seasons and made the playoffs in 2012, 2014 and 2016.But the Orioles finished 75-87 in 2017 — losing 19 of their final 23 games — and this year staggered through a 47-115 season, the worst since the team moved to Baltimore in 1954.The club issued a statement Wednesday night that read, in part: “We thank Dan and Buck for their many contributions over the past several years. Under their leadership, prior to the 2018 season and for six consecutive years, the club delivered competitive teams playing meaningful baseball into September. … Everyone in Birdland and across our organization will cherish these memories http://www.athleticsfanproshop.com/authentic-matt-joyce-jersey , and we all join in thanking Dan and Buck for their contributions.”Showalter and Duquette have contracts that expire at the end of October.“It was decided that they would not renew my contract, and I think that’s for the best,” Duquette said in an interview with The Associated Press. “I want to thank (owner) Peter Angelos for the opportunity to lead the Orioles. We had some very good seasons, and I’m proud of what we did here.”A three-time AL Manager of the Year, Showalter ranks second on the Orioles’ career list with 669 victories, trailing Earl Weaver. He took over in August 2010 and orchestrated the resurgence of a floundering franchise.Once hailed for making baseball in Baltimore relevant again, the 62-year-old Showalter is out of a job after a season in which the Orioles finished 61 games behind Boston in the AL East.Before opening day, Duquette signed free agent pitchers Alex Cobb and Andrew Cashner. He also spurned trade offers for pending free agent Manny Machado with hopes that the Orioles could be a contender in 2018.It never happened. Baltimore went 8-20 in April and owned a 19-50 record on June 16. Just over a month later, before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline, Duquette tore apart the roster by swapping Machado, Zach Britton, Jonathan Schoop and several other veterans for 15 minor league prospects and international signing bonus slot money.“Nobody could have anticipated the season would go as it did,” Duquette said Wednesday night.Duquette began the rebuild, but he won’t be around to see it to the finish. Director of Player Development Brian Graham will handle day-to-day oversight of baseball operations while the Orioles search for Duquette’s successor.Showalter earned AL Manager of the Year honors in 2014 after taking the Orioles to the AL East title and a berth in the Championship Series. He was also chosen Manager of Year with the Yankees in 1994 and Texas in 2004. His career record is 1,551-1,517, including 669-684 with Baltimore.“I just think ever since he came here Glenn Hubbard Jersey , the franchise just gained a little more accountability, gained an edge for some time,” Orioles outfielder Adam Jones said before the final game of the season. “It’s the end of an era. A great manager, a great tenure. I don’t know if he’s going to coach or manage again, but he’s got grandchildren. Go golf. Relax and go sit on the golf course.”Duquette joined the Orioles in November 2011. Baltimore reached the postseason in 2012, the first of five successive seasons in which Baltimore finished at least .500.Duquette’s tenure in Baltimore featured the crafty signing of free agents Nelson Cruz and Mark Trumbo, both of whom led the majors in home runs with the Orioles. But Duquette also signed right-hander Ubaldo Jimenez, who went 32-42 over the length of a four-year, $50 million contract, and Baltimore is still paying the price for the seven-year, $161 million deal offered to slugger Chris Davis before the 2016 season.Davis batted .168 this season, the lowest batting average by a qualifier in major league history, and he struck out 192 times over 128 games.Duquette replaced Andy MacPhail as Baltimore’s overseer of baseball operations. Before that, the 60-year-old Massachusetts native enjoyed successful tenures with the Boston Red Sox from 1994-2001 and the Montreal Expos from 1987-93. The Red Sox reached the playoffs three times under his guidance.The Orioles say they will hire an executive from outside of the organization to lead the baseball operations department. That person will be in charge of choosing a new manager.

Return to “[JBC] Jebacze”